An Isis Aretalogy from Andros




An aretalogy is a first-person litany by a God or Goddess, enumerating their deeds and attributes. Aretalogies were common in late antiquity, and the best known are those of Isis. The most famous and influential Isis aretalogy was found in Kyme, but others have survived as well.

The present one was engraved on a marble slab on the Greek island of Andros, and dates to the first century BC. As far as I know, this was not yet translated into English. It is regrettably fragmentary in a few sections, but otherwise fairly complete.

My translation was made from Laurent Bricault's French edition, in Recueil Des Inscriptions Concernant Les Cultes Isiaques (Ricis): Vol. 1 (Peeters, 2005), 365-368.  The original Greek text is hexametrical. I tried to render the French as closely as possible, but was compelled to take liberties at times with some expressions and go by instinct. My knowledge of Greek is extremely poor, so unfortunately I couldn't rely on the original for more than the occasional noun, hence my translation will necessarily have defects. The numbering indicates lines.

Typical of Greek Isiac material, this lovely aretalogy presents a well Hellenized form of Isis, harmoniously woven into the Greek pantheon. Her portrayal and associations accord well with other contemporary sources. 

The Isis Aretalogy of Andros

Queen of Egypt, linen-robed, (2) filled with care for the ancient land, which the deep furrow makes abundant with wheat. (3) Sistrum-bearing Bubastis and Memphis rejoicing (4) in its fruitful fields. (5) There, a sacred law, the work of pious kings, (6) erected an immovable stele, a supreme emblem of thy kingship. (7) The suppliant crowds she addresses thus: 

‘I am Isis of the golden throne, (8) whose sceptre is strong, the fiery solar ray (9) having shone upon the nourishing land.

(10) From wise Hermes I learned the secret letters, and I (11) polished them with a stylus, wherewith I engraved them for mine initiates, (12) the sacred, fearful words. (13) What the people established for their public use, (14) all this I scrupulously wove into the depths of my mind.

(15) I am Isis, eldest daughter of king Kronos, (16) most honoured consort of Osiris of mighty power, (17) with whom I formerly delivered the same womb that begat us. (18) Isis, whose hair, braided as the vine’s tendrils, is bedecked with magnificent flowers; (19) Isis, whom the wise counsel of a king with thoughts sublime and yet a child, (20) dreaded Ouranos, helped provide mortals with laws that (21) no foolish thought shall destroy, and time, however long, shall not dim. (22) Never shall the fathomless and endless eternity cast them into oblivion.

(23) I shimmer along the course of the starry circles wherein I move in the Canis constellation.

(24) Women call me Goddess, healer of all ills. (25) I toiled and laboured to erect my dwelling in Bubastis. (26) I, Isis, in my great wisdom, set the limits of Olympus (27) and the humid land with dark raiment; I am she who likewise, to distinguish the seasons, delineated a winding way through the air amidst the heavenly bodies on high. (29) Toward the celestial pole I directed the lunar sphere, (30) the angled bearer of the sun’s glow by its rays (31) as well as Helios, the resplendent driver of fiery steeds, (32) so that through harmonious courses, their axes may distinguish (33) night from day with a staggering, resounding, winding movement. 

(34-35) I am she who first granted to men the capacity of traversing the ocean; (36)  who fortified justice; (37) who at the dawn of the human race, united woman with man (38-39), and joyously directed newborn after newborn to the tenth lunar phase, perfect radiance of a flourishing work; (40) she who educated the little ones (41) who, still in the bosom, fear their parents’ punishment. 

(42) Aided by frenzied fury, I threatened with my wrath the wretched who know not love, (driving them) to howling Hades’ realm, (44) and the black veil of the abysmal prison. (45) I rule over a bread-producing land, for I abhor foods made by men’s destructive hands. (46) Cave bears were affrighted of it, (47) the howling wolf, whose hunger empowers it, refusing to acknowledge it, repelled it while in its quest for prey (?), (49) who amidst its daily campaigns, wild, in the valley (?), which the pitiless thicket fed…(51) spared ….in the mountains ….ignorant. (52)…vain vigour…(53)…they celebrate…(54)….his mother who devours her…(55-56) …all those whose heart is roused by foolish pride…(57)…vain…dried up…(58)…to men, when I imposed a yoke on the….(59)….the saviour… (60-80) …(81) joy for his/her mother…(82) I Isis…still barren…(83-84)…I enlarged the furrow … (85) cut the harvest with a scythe (86) while causing the vine to spread…(87) the pleasant…of the days’ work…(88) the sister’s fertile works…(89) protectress of the suppliants (90) long of hair…(91) the oak still flourishing…(92) I, Isis for the citizens…

(93-95)…I taught the way of placating Gods by means of statues, when formerly what was contrived by an insidious fable was celebrated by poets’ chants*. (96) My people erected temples to the (…) (97) I unloosed the tyrants’ cruel chains. (98) Enyô, bespattered in the blood of slaughter, when I showered her with the cursed waters at the marshes of Styx, (100) with my wrath I expelled her from the realm of Hades into Tartaros, (101-102) wherein the punishments decreed the death of my terrible prey. In my kindness, I provided man with a docile spouse, binding both of them beneath the yoke of matrimony, while sweet Persuasion with its gentle breeze, lulled the treacherous steep gorge to sleep. (105) I set up the pillar of pleasant law amongst the inhabitants of cities, (106) giving it a likeness finer than gold…(107) For us, from the dark…was born… (108) Instead of….obtained wealth. (109) The features of a pure…the curtains of the marriage bed embroidered with fabric like gold…(110) who prepares marriages when young girls of the same age….(111) the torches with the hymenaea (nuptial hymns) as befit a lovely wedding (112)…I separated the…barbarian from the sound of the Greek voice (113-114)…to the mortals nature…(115)…of contrasting shame…(116)…I imbue the oath with dreadful terror (117-119)…(120)…swiftly the Erinys…(121)…with her sting (122)…with the frail ones (123-125)…(126) …offers (…) sweet as honey (127)…wandering the ocean…I remained…(128) …compassionate…(129)…raising the storm…(130)…the sea’s calm (131)…excited (132)….Pontos in the abyss (134-135)…(136) the trace…

(137-138)…with my shining brother, I tend to Helios’ palace (139) and they call me his consort. Sent through the celestial circles (140), I am borne upon his rays across the shining heaven. (141) Whatsoever I set my mind to, I bring it all to fruition. (143) At every gesture of my head, the mighty abase themselves before my power (144), fearing our supreme royalty. I untied fate from its bonds. (145) Amphitrite, fond of fair weather, advances across the water in her black-prowed ship beneath the cold, unclean spray, (147) when, a smile reddening my cheerful cheeks, I send forth baleful-armed Tethys. (149) In the navigable depths, when my desire stirs up my heart (150) I hasten through the tortuous path to make it into a desert, and I sweep everything with a somber downpour. (151) Pontos in his deep grottoes, silently bellows from the recesses of his sanctuary. (152) The first, on the ship’s deck, (153) I led the agile skiff with swelling sails, riding upon the stream while seas tamed by swift naves, Doris’ glorious progeny (156) emitted a whirling chorus. And my mind trembled with awe, (157) eyes fixed on the yet unknown beating of oars. 

(158) I Isis, against the frigid cloud of wars with its woes, (159) compassed the opulent kingdom with a circle of battlements. (160) From the hollow of their roots, I uplifted islands from deep mire to light. (161) Even mountains I brought forth, (162) the foundation of fields fit for sowing, (163) and the verdant meadow that I spread over firmly established heights, (164) pleasing to cattle sheds and shepherds. (165) Over the bubbling wave did Nereus strike with his trident (166) the resounding flow, sparkling with foamy flowers, (167) at the shores hurtling against the even rocks. (168) From my dewy brow, I urge forth abundance for my native fruitful land, (169) the ripening grape, dispenser of pleasure. (170) Making thunder coruscate with boundless might, (171) I roar it forth, a fierce threat to mortals. (172) What fate’s distaff has spun, (173) what Atropos ever twirls with her hands in impetuous whirls, has obeyed me, (174)…endlessly…(175)…reed stalks…(176)…in whirls. Rending clods asunder…(177)…over the seas…(178)…thick ash…(179) the Nile’s…     

__________________

* Perhaps implying that humans initially created religions based on falsehoods before the Goddess stepped in to rectify their ways. Isis and Osiris were traditionally seen as the bringers of civilization and correct religion to humanity. Q.v. the Hermetic Korê Kosmou: "It was they that filled human life with that which is divine, and thereby put a stop to the savagery of mutual slaughter. It was they that established upon Earth rites of worship which correspond exactly to the Holy Powers in heaven. It was they that consecrated temples and instituted sacrifices to the gods that were their ancestors, and gave to mortal men the boon of food and shelter." (Walter Scott, Hermetica I)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sufi planetary magic

A database of Greco-Egyptian divine names

First steps in Greco-Egyptian magic